Waking up to a flooded basement is any homeowner’s nightmare. Water in your basement can ruin carpeting, flooring, drywall, and any personal belongings you have stored there. The good news is that a sump pump can help.
What is a sump pump? It is a device installed in the lowest part of your home to prevent flooding by pumping water out of the basement and away from your home.
How Does a Sump Pump Work?
A sump pump is typically put in the basement, which is the lowest point in your home. When water enters the basement, it collects in the sump pit. This triggers the float switch, which turns on the pump. The water is then pumped out of the pit and away from your house via a discharge pipe.
Why Do I Need a Sump Pump?
Many homeowners often ask, ‘do I need a sump pump in my home?’ Well, the simple answer is yes. Would you rather have a sump pump in place that will prevent flooding in your home or deal with the costly repairs that come with flooding?
If you have experienced any of the below scenarios in your home, it is about time to install a sump pump;
1. Flooding in your basement- This is one of the telltale signs that you need a sump pump installed as soon as possible.
2. Leak in your basement- If you have a leak in your basement, there is a good chance that it will eventually lead to flooding if a sump pump is not installed.
3. Humidity or mold in your basement- High humidity levels in your basement can cause the growth of mold and mildew.
4. If your sump pump is old- If your sump pump has served you for more than 10 years, it is about time you replaced it.
5. If you live in an area prone to heavy rains or near a water body- If your home is located in such an area, it is at a higher risk for flooding, and you should consider installing a sump pump.
6. If your home is built on flat ground- If your home is built on a flat piece of land, it means that you will be dealing with poor drainage issues. This is so because water will have nowhere to go but into your home.
7. If you have had issues with sewage backup- If you have experienced problems with sewage backup in your home before, it is likely that you will experience it again. A sump pump will help to prevent this from happening.
If you answered yes to any of the above scenarios, it is time to install a sump pump in your home. Not only will it give you peace of mind knowing that your home is protected from flooding, but it could also save you thousands of dollars in repairs. Furthermore, if you have recently renovated your home, installing one is a great way to protect your investment.
Benefits of Installing a Sump Pump
Some of the pros of installing a sump pump include;
- Prevents your home from flooding
- Keeps mold and mildew at bay
- Protects your investment
- Helps you avoid costly home repairs
- Gives you peace of mind
However, it is important to note that for the sump pump to serve you well, you need to maintain it. Ensure that you carry out regular maintenance checks and schedule professional servicing once a year.
Hire the Experts
How well the sump pump will work largely depends on its installation. Maffei Services experts are the best in the business and will install it correctly the first time. We understand that each home is different, and as such, we tailor our services to meet your unique needs. Call us today to schedule a free consultation with one of our experts.